LAYC History

A collection of articles from the club historian:

1934 - Fourth of July 
1935 - LAYC Historical Sketch 
LAYC Boat Parade

LAYC Historical Sketch
1932
Club incorporated October 3 by Directors Betts, Fox, Hackley, Jaun, McComber, Pier, Van Nuys and Commodore Woestmann; LAYC’s fleets included the Arrowhead Sloop, Geary 18, Rainbow Skimmer; unlimited speed motorboat racing began
1942
Installed Marina on North Shore
1943
Installed small marina on South Shore below Village
1945
Purchased land on South Shore ; unlimited speed motorboat racing was changed to predicted time racing in the interests of safety
1946
Start of Olympic class Star Fleet, Arrowhead Woods and lake purchased by the Los Angeles Turf Club; added to marina on South Shore
1948
Leased North Shore Tavern for clubhouse and operated it as a hotel (The present UCLA Conference Center )
1949
First Spring Dinner Dance in Los Angeles
1951
Abandoned North Shore Tavern as clubhouse
1954
Built clubhouse on South Shore lot and discontinued operations of hotel at North Shore Tavern
1955
Start of C-Scow Fleet; Sports Illustrated covered Fleet Review
1957
LAYC members participated and placed first in both “A” and “B” classes of annual International Geary 18 Invitational
1958
Start of Lido 14 Fleet
1959
Installed concrete marinas replacing wood marina
1960
Constructed bar, kitchen, and restroom buildings and made extensive alterations to original small clubhouse
1961
Arrowhead Woods and lake purchased by Lake Arrowhead Development Company
1963
Exchanged upper road frontage to increase lake frontage and gained permanent easement on access road, installed 40-slip marina
1967
Arrowhead Woods purchased by Boise Cascade Corporation
1969
Motorboat and water ski competition discontinued
1970
Start of the Olympic Finn Fleet
1971
LAYC became member of SCYA
1972
Clubhouse refurbished and food service implemented
1973
LAYC dock space lease paid up to year 2000
1974
SCYA met for the first time at LAYC
1975
Start of Hobie Fleet; lake purchased by property owners, known as the Arrowhead Lake Association (ALA)
1976
Start of Olympic class Laser Fleet; completion of new dam and Lake Papoose ; historic change in bylaws: the spouse of any member in good standing shall have the same rights and privileges as any member
1977
First woman on Board of Directors
1978
Heavy planning for new addition and new Judges’ Stand
1979
Original tent facility was replaced with permanent clubhouse and lakefront bar
1980
Demolition of original Lake Arrowhead Village ; exchanged an easement on access road for increased parking area and additional lake frontage
1981
Winter opening of newly constructed village; heavy snows sink the last of the concrete docks
1982
Celebration of Fiftieth Anniversary – refurbished docks installed
1983
Final payoff of mortgage and construction debt made club debt free
1984
Construction of deck and railing in front of clubhouse, lengthened launch ramp; built BBQ; new clubhouse furniture
1985
Race Committee pontoon boat put into service
1986
Holder Fleet introduced – Club began hosting Antique and Classic Wooden Boat Show
1987
First Lady Commodore elected to office
1991
New Snack Bar and deck addition
1992
Total replacement of docks
1994
Junior Yacht Club awning
1996
First float in Blue Jay Christmas Parade; ALA approved addition of floating racks
1997
First National “California Cup” Regatta for C-Scows; new Race Committee pontoon boat commissioned; installed doors to permit winter storage of large boats in clubhouse
1998
Established Chapter of International Order of The Blue Gavel (IOBG). Established website “LAYC.net”
1999

1st time C-Scows & Geary 18s competed in National Offshore One design (NOOD) RegattaNew Canopy on Deck

Second Lady Commodore elected to office

Stopped Hosting Antique and Classic Wooden Boat Show

2000

New Tile Floor throughout kitchenThird Lady Commodore elected to office

New Perpetual Trophy Display Case

2001
MC-Scow Fleet #72 Chartered at the club in November 2001
2002
Bark Beetle infestation due to severe drought; thousands of trees removed from the mountain area
2003
Floating sailboat racks installed; Old Fire & Cedar Fire destroy 350+ homes on the east side of the lake, causing over 2 Billion in damage
2004
Lake level lower than ever recorded since 1921 (FEMA 10/2004)
2005
Record rainfall; lake level full in February 2005
2006
New bar and sliding doors are installed
2008
Commodore Ed Purcell commissioned Specialty Commodore “1932” Award – Service Above and Beyond the Call of Duty
2010
New Ship’s Store, offices & Anchor Room construction completed
2012
Drinks tickets are retired and replaced with a digital solution
2013
New docks are installed
2014
Junior Sailing Center (The Shack) Opens
Hobie beach commissioned
2015
New west entrance and signage installed.